How I Made a Pinterest-Inspired Wire Grid Memo Board




After uploading my university room tour blog post last week (which you can read here), I had quite a few comments about my desk area and my wire grid memo board in particular, which I have to say really does complete my study space. It's a super cute concept that I'd seen all over Pinterest, and so I really wanted to do my own version. This modern take on a normal pinboard definitely ties together my room, and so I thought I'd give you a step-by-step tutorial of how to make it!



To create this, you will need:

Wire grid - if you search around the shops, there's many of these available in different colours and sizes, so be on the lookout in the homeware section of your local supermarkets and clothes shops - seriously, they're everywhere! I originally envisioned a rose gold one, as this is what I'd seen on Pinterest and was the theme of my room, but when I found this white one in Wilko for only £4, I knew I couldn't turn it down (and spray paint is always an option if you were insistent on a different colour).

Binder clips - these are needed to attach everything to the wire grid, adding that cute, homemade vibe of a pinboard rather than just using tape or blue tac. I opted for rose gold ones since the grid lacked this after choosing a white one, and I really do think the pop of colour works nicely



Photographs - these can be of anything you like, and have as few or as many as you want. I printed mine all through the app LALALAB, which offers incredibly cheap photo prints in a variety of sizes, including these adorable Polaroid-esque ones that I couldn't say no to. You also upload them directly from your phone, making it super convenient to have your favourite photos printed and you can even edit them beforehand! I actually have a discount code available for these, so if you'd like £5 off your first order then use the code PG8ZNE9R, which is definitely worth it, considering the prints start at £0.25 each!

Other quotes or printouts - have a selection of other things to decorate the grid with, as it's nice having a few other decorative items to complement the photographs. My additional pieces are actually cut-up planner pages that I found on sale in Rymans, which was definitely a lucky find by my mum, but you can use whatever you have lying around or even print off some things from Pinterest.



To assemble it:

Once you have all of the different components, it's really easy to put it all together. I spread everything out in front of me and started playing around with different combinations until I found one that I liked best, and then proceeded to clip everything into place. I also used some blue tac on the back to further reinforce everything, and this also allowed to have the photos on a diagonal, which gives a more spontaneous and cute feel.

One of my biggest tips is that less is more with this, as it'll easily begin to look overcrowded if you add too many photos or quotes, and you want to be able to see parts of the grid as well. In my opinion, a lot of the items look nicest when paired up, as they compliment each other nicely and thus make it look more cohesive and unified, and I'd also recommend trying to keep things like quotes spaced out rather than right next to each other.

And that's pretty much it! As you can see, not much is needed at all to make this, yet once it's completed it looks incredibly effective. You can also personalise it as much as you want and alter things to make it perfect for you, whether that's in the colour, size or choice of decorations. I really do think that this is a pretty, Instagrammable addition to your university room, and is a lovely take on the traditional pinboard.

I'd love to see if any of you decide to recreate this or do something similar, so make sure you send me any photos on Twitter or Instagram, both of which are linked in the bar above!

Thank you very much for reading this blog post, and I hope you enjoyed seeing this little DIY that I did. I'll be back on Sunday with another new blog post since I'm now uploading 3 times a week, so make sure you check back for that!

Love from Daisy x

0 comments